Did you know that May is National Strawberry Month? It really shouldn’t come as a surprise, considering this sweet, delicious fruit is synonymous with spring. What’s better than fresh strawberries? Nothing we can think of at the moment! Considering they’re both healthy and delicious, we think they’re the perfect snack, or even ingredient in recipes.
As a contract foodservices provider for decades, we’ve seen it all when it comes to food. From mobile restaurants and catering to festival and event catering, sometimes the food is healthy – but most of the time, not so much. Funnel cakes, deep-fried Twinkies, corn dogs and other artery-clogging fare is typically the most appealing at these festivals. Considering it’s May there are no doubt festivals going on all across the U.S. in the biggest cities as well as the smallest, where visitors enjoy mobile cuisine, arts and crafts, music, contests, and just mingling with the crowd. Perhaps vendors should consider including more strawberries on the menu considering the month-long celebration?
Here are a few strawberry facts we think you’ll enjoy.
- Number of calories in one cup of strawberries (without sugar, of course), 55.
- How many seeds are on the average strawberry? 200
- How many pounds of fresh strawberries on average do Americans eat each year? 3.4 lbs. per individual, according to the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture.
- Did you know strawberries are a member of the rose family? Give them a sniff sometime – you’ll notice a sweet fragrance.
- Rinsing under water speeds the spoiling process, so don’t rinse until you’re ready to pop those strawberries into your mouth!
- 94% of households in the U.S. consume strawberries.
- 75% of strawberries are grown in California; if they were to be laid next to each other in a line, it would circle the earth 15 times!
- For children, eating just eight strawberries provides 140% of the daily recommended intake of Vitamin C.
Fresh strawberries are abundant right now, so be sure to enjoy this healthy fruit! Happy National Strawberry Month from the contract foodservice management professionals at Gourmet Services.